Sunday, 12 February 2012

Summer in Mashatu

Large wild mushroom at sunset

I was recently invited to spend five nights in Mashatu at one of their private camps - Rock Camp. A work associate of my dad's has time share at Rock Camp, and so very generously took us along for their trip!

The heading 'Summer in Mashatu' might seem to be misleading when you see the images I took over the six days I was there, because the grass was very very short, as short as during my previous stay in June last year, and there was hardly any water around. The bush is therefore DRY! This is a positive for game viewing, as animals are much easier to follow, although may be a problem later on in the year if the rain doesn't arrive soon. In any case, our stay there provided us with beautiful weather, not too hot, not too cold, a good tan and plenty of very enjoyable cat sightings.

Anyone who has stayed at Mashatu will know that unless the Limpopo River is quite low, the only way across it is by cable car - a small cage on a pulley system that transports everything you bring across the river. It's quite a bit of fun, standing suspended over the wide swiftly flowing river, trying to spot crocodiles as you go, and hoping your camera equipment makes it unharmed to the opposite bank. At Rock Camp, you self cater - and we had an amazing caterer in the form of Roberts Wife, Tanya, who surprised us at every meal with something new. The most memorable of these in my opinion was a garlic bread that had been filled with sliced beef fillet such that the fillet was infused with delicious garlic flavour, and the bread with that of rare meat. Another memorable meal was a huge prawn braai - done over the coals in the Boma - and enough to make us all feel stuffed by the end of it!

Mashatu has provided me with a few rather exciting lion sightings. Usually lions are quite inanimate: sleeping, perhaps licking themselves or yawning. Our first morning we found a large pride of lions in a great open clearing, resting on the red-orange soil. Before long a few of the youngsters spotted a steenbok, wandering unawares into the clearing. All of a sudden they were in stalk mode, silently moving one paw at a time in the direction of the buck. As they were spotted, the steenbok shot off, lions in hot pursuit, but without any real chance of success with such a large initial gap between them.

This burst of energy did however wake the other youngsters up, and four of them traipsed off to attack a tree and each other. One by one they would throw themselves at the small tree, grabbing a branch with a paw and falling down, still clinging to it. The next lion would then land atop the first, a small scuffle ensuing, before they both jumped up and set off after one another, tails raised and paws at the ready. After a while they tired of attacking the tree, and went to rejoin the rest of the pride, but not before posing on a fallen tree for photos.

One of the other lions had taken an interest in a bush, which was evidently good for climbing on. He would jump onto it, balancing precariously before his weight got to much and the bush dumped him on the ground. He would then start the process again. This game caught on very quickly, and soon there were four lions all climbing onto the bush and being dumped unceremoniously onto the hard ground. The young males are around two years old, and as such wont be able to remain with the pride much longer due to pressure from their father. While we were there he decided he had had enough of the rowdy behavior of his one son, and walked up to him purposefully. Then he attacked, a spitting, swirly, angry flurry of claws and paws. The youngster defended himself, snarling and smacking at his father, claws extended. All too soon it was over, and the youngster lay growling while the dad scent marked a few bushes and lay down again. Within ten minutes it was back to playing attack the bush. Quite an exciting morning! And it wasn't even over yet...

Nothing quite like an accommodating tree

Father and son

After some much needed coffee and chocolate cookies, we set off for the second half of our drive. It wasn't long before we found a young male leopard resting in the shade in a dry riverbed. The riverbeds are one of the best features of Mashatu game viewing, often providing a backdrop to some or other leopard sighting, or to a herd of thirsty elephant. We had been on our way to one of the more popular spots for elephant to drink when our guide had spotted the leopard. The sand is a beautiful colour, full of iron oxides or something equally lovely to look at. We sat watching this male as he relaxed, completely unconcerned by our presence. A few impala were grazing in the distance, which he kept an eye on as he yawned and rolled about. Next thing we knew a small township dog trotted down the opposite bank of the river, making a bee line for us. My heart began to pump, the last thing I would want to hear is a little dog being killed. I say hear as I think the sound of a yelping dog would be too much for me, being a serious dog lover myself. Without thinking I began calling the dog, clicking my fingers and shouting 'Here boy...'. One of the other people with us also began calling the dog. Her husband, Bruce, couldn't believe the two of us - and logically wondered what on earth we planned on doing if we succeded in getting the dog's attention. The leopard was now on high alert, motionless and crouched, ready to pounce. It would certainly not allow us to just pick up its next meal and drive off with it!

Noticing the dog

Ready to pounce

Fortunately the dog (Snoepie as he was later christened) ignored us, and trotted past the vehicle to within a couple of metres of the leopard, without noticing it. As it passed the leopard, the cat sprang into action, launching itself at Snoepie and connecting with the dogs back legs. I sat still, the poor little dog was going to die and there was nothing we could do. As the leopards claws connected with Snoepie, he turned and barked blue murder at the leopard, who was now sporting a look of serious surprise on its face. Within second the leopard was up a nearby (and very small) tree, and the dog stood howling blue murder at the terrified cat. We could NOT believe our eyes - this was one hell of a surprise. Snoepie, satsified that the cat had learnt a lesson, now trotted off (presumably to find some lions who needed to be taught a lesson or two). It was certainly not your average morning in the bush!

We ended the morning off somewhat quietly, watching a few elephant slaking their thirst. Rather uneventfully (in comparison) some of the elephant stumbled upon a lioness, trumpeting loudly until she retreated up the river bank (this within a few hundred metres of Snoepie and the leopard). It was one of those mornings: unrepeatable, amazing and unforgetable. A real highlight of bush viewing, and one of the reasons why it's so exciting- you just never know whats around the corner.

Elephant calf charging down to bank

1 comment:

  1. Some great shots here Laura, specially the lions!